26/08/2008

1947 TRIUMPH ROADSTER 1800- THE STORY OF ROSIE

I always had a passion for Classic cars. In common with other like minded youngsters I could only dream about really owning one.


As a University student, in the early sixties, the bug really bit when I was given, yes given , a 1932 MG Midget Pre-vintage Thoroughbred, , by a close relative. Worry not, he himself only paid £10 for it about 18 months previously and had a lot of fun with it. It was a runner but needed a lot doing to it. In my position there was no question of having it restored to Concours condition. The doors were secured by bolts, the bodywork hand painted, gearbox with the second gear jumping out and the gear lever knob giving me a nasty thump on the knee and the consequent knee jerk. It was powered by a 10hp Ford engine with only three cylinders fuctioning. The beauty lay in the split windscreen and the slab petrol tank.


A visit to a knacker's yard and £10 lighter on the wallet I was able to " pick your own " similar replacement engine/gearbox unit with no guarantee given or implied. The rest was tarted up...green bodywork with black wings. The stupid name of Hamish replaced by another stupid name of Z-Victor 2. When the fuzz kept stopping me on the A3 asking me to do something about the smoke pouring out from the exhaust, I thought it was time for Z-Victor 2 to go I sold it to a Surgical Registrar for £32. He in indecent haste took it to a Ford Main Dealer, who indecently quoted him £400 for essential repairs. To cut his "losses" he promptly paid £5 to a "Car Breaker" to take it away for scrap. With the car went the Cherished registration plate MG 1856.

This was soon replaced be a 1946 Hillman saloon followed two years later by a Triumph Renown.

Now this did it. I now wished I had bought a Triumph Roadster. I achieved my ambition when in 1985 I bought Rosie, a 1947 1800 Triumph Roadster. Not much is known about Rosie's history. I puchased her from a fish and chip's shop, or rather it owner, also a Greek, in Northampton. She needed total restoration. When I drove it for a short run, I found the steering all over the place. However I did agree to buy it at a very reduced price subject to it passing the MOT. A week later I had a call from the owner and I went to collect the car. My journey back on the M1 was a nightmare. The steering was one thing but the indicator lights were wired wrongly and flashes left when indicating and vice versa. I leave the rest to your imagination.!

The next day when I was giving her a going over not only did I detect this fault but also that the water hoses were devoid of any clips and were sealed by the rust in the water and oil leaking from the rocker cover gasket.

I soon sorted out these amongst other problems to MOT standards and a month later was at The Triumph Roadster Club's 25th Annual Rally in Bristol. She was not the worst car there, just the one but worst.




    Triumph Roadster Car of the year Trophy






Restoration work started in earnest and in in 1989 won the Car of the Year Trophy. The object of the prize is to publicise the msrque in the eyes of the public. She then went on to win the Best 1800 Engine Award at the TRC's 30th Anniversary Rally.
Meanwhile Rosie the attention of the then Events Organiser and I was asked to exhibit Rosie on the Club's stand, firstly at Earl's Court and later at Alexandra Palace.
Best Triumph Roadster 1800 Engine Regular appearances at Classic Car shows followed with Rosie frequently winning a prize for Best in Class. She has been featured in the local newspapers at charity events. She has also featured in Motoring magazines and had a spot in Meridian TV,s Classic Cars series.


Over a period of time, Rosie made it to the Club's Top Twelve in 1998 and 1999.


Receiving the "1800 Triumph Roadster Best Engine Award" from Triumph Roadster Club's President, Bert Harold.


Sadly, in August 1999, whilst returning from a charity event that she was hit in the back and was written off. I was able to keep Rosie and within a few weeks purchased a good example of another 1947 Triumph Roadster, and call her Penny.

*******************
(To view click on image or text, and on left arrow to return)



The rain had just stopped. There were not many people around by now. The exhibitors were leaving fast. I started up to join them. A press photographer appeared at the window pleading for a shot of the car with me. We exhibitors never refuse. He could not have had many opportunities that day. This picture was taken. The heavens opened. I drove off. Within the hour Rosie was hit hard in the back and we lying in the ditch and rescued by the emergency services. The only thing I remember is regaining consciousness in hospital.

The following day I was driven to the car recovery site. Having assured the agent that the driver did not die a horrible death, I introduced myself, to his disbelief, as the owner- driver. This is what I saw.








Rosie comes home




Note the broken steering wheel and the bowed bench seat


                                                   The dismantling commences....







I think it is all over


It is now !

Bye Bye Rosie


Welcome Penny


(see http://thetriumphroadster.blogspot.com/ /the story of Penny)

******************************************


This item first appeared in Classic Car Monthly in February 2008

Link:  Tiumph Roadster in Classic car Monthly
************************************